Well, its official. I have turned in my two week notice at my current position and I am pursuing other options. We have enough of a padding to last long enough for me to sort this out. (My fear is talking there)
I’m very happy about this first decision and I have lots of options. Nonetheless, I am very much struggling with this life decision. The lucky part is that I can actually make this choice with the career path that I have in web design and online marketing. Here are my options:
Option 1: Accept a FT Corporate Job – The “Logical” Choice
- Steady income to support my family, benefits (health, dental, paid time off)
- Opportunity for learning from others and new environment
- Career growth potential
- Escape from the cubicle and florescent lighting
- Not enough time to do my freelance work, be a mom, take care of the house, etc
- Potential to be ‘more of the same’ in terms of politics and personalities
- 401 K hasn’t been a reliable investment vehicle for retirement
Option 2: Accept PT Work + Freelance/Businesses – The “Tempting” Choice
- Flexible hours, variation in work
- Ability to pursue many projects and avenues (web, businesses, writing)
- Pontenial to be happier by feeding my creative outlets, feeling of acomplishment
- Ability to help many small businesses and increase networking
- Ability to be there for my daughter more, especially when she is sick
- Inconsistent income, no protection from month to month, no paid time off
- Have to work at ensuring I have additional work
- Location of jobs may vary, though remote is very possible in my industry
- Administrative duties increase, have to take care of own taxes, health, investments
- Might be lonely working alone majority of the time
I want to live every day as if it was my last. I want this thing called life to matter. And I don’t know how I’ll ever be able to do that if I can’t do more of the things that I want to do with my time. Having a little 2 year old means that I don’t have any ‘down time’. The time I have is absolutely precious.
But whether I’m following my heart and whether I’m taking care of my responsibilities might be two separate things. I am the sole bread winner right now in our household. Is this just a timing issue or is it the right time to make the leap?
I’ve made a hard choice which is to quit my job to start to really craft the life that I want to lead. But now I need to get more specific and really play out what my life will look like depending on what path I choose.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned it is that there are no black and white answers. I’ve also learned that people are willing to be flexible working with you if they truly value what you offer.
Often times its fear that prevents us from taking a leap. If I can get past the fear, what choices would I make?